Saturday, October 8, 2016

Camper Door Modifications

We've made two modifications to the door to our fifth-wheel.  One was simply an install of a store bought item and the other would qualify as a "Macgyver".




camper door modification
In my opinion, one of the best mods we have made is to simply add a grab bar to the door.  I quickly got tired of pulling out the plastic, sliding middle piece that seems to come with all camper doors.  They are generally flimsy and I was always pulling it apart while trying to close the door.  The grab bar was purchased at Camping World and it has made a huge difference.

The other door modification came about because I am too short to open the door from the outside unless I am standing on the bottom step.  In addition, Rick didn't care for sliding the plastic door piece open every time you had to open the door from the inside.

Here is our VERY low-tech solution.
camper door modification

This is a piece of a wire hanger with a plastic tip on the end.  It goes through the side of the white plastic on the inside of the door and attaches to the door latch on the other side.  
camper door modification

I added a simple piece of twine to the outside latch so I could open the door from the outside while standing on the ground.  Before, I had to stand on the corner of the bottom step so I could reach the latch.

camper door modification

Here are some other camper mods we have made.


No comments:

Post a Comment